Are your credit card debts overwhelming? Are you having trouble paying your bills each month? Credit counselling, through certified credit counsellors, can help you reduce your debt by working with you to develop a repayment plan that is affordable for you and your family.
A trained, accredited credit counsellor will:
- review your personal budget with you, including your income and expenses;
- assess your total debts;
- work with you to determine a monthly payment plan that you can afford.
Both credit counselling agencies and trustees in bankruptcy perform these services.
If you choose a debt management plan, your credit counsellor will also:
- negotiate on your behalf with your creditors;
- collect your monthly payment and distribute the proceeds to your creditors based on the terms of the agreement; and
- provide you with on-going education about money and credit management to help you remain debt free once your program is completed.
How To Choose A Credit Counsellor
- Choose a credit counselling agency that is accredited with a credit counselling association that ensures it’s members abide by strict requirements for integrity, financial management, education, certification and principles of practice.
- Ensure your individual credit counsellor is professionally trained and accredited, and abides by a code of ethics which ensures that you get compassionate, knowledgeable help to find the best possible solution to your money problems.
- Review your agreement before you sign so you fully understand the services to be performed, how you are to make payments, how your creditors will be paid, how long the program will take, and what happens in the event you do not complete the program.
The following credit counselling agencies have been recommended by our member bankruptcy trustees for providing reputable, knowledgeable debt help in their communities:
- Throughout Canada, Credit & Debt Services provides credit counselling advice, by telephone, at no cost to you (they are funded by Employee Assistance Programs); they can be reached at 1-888-228-2239
- Follow this link for Ontario credit counsellors recommended by our member bankruptcy trustees.
- Talk to a bankruptcy trustee. Trustees in bankruptcy are the most trained and educated credit counsellors you can speak to. They can advise your on all of your options and refer you to a reputable credit counselling agency in your area.